logoBC
Yaoundé - 08 December 2019 -
Finance

Cameroon: Public debt reached XAF7,494bln in Q1 2019 (35% of GDP)

Cameroon: Public debt reached XAF7,494bln in Q1 2019 (35% of GDP)
  • Comments   -   Tuesday, 07 May 2019 10:34

(Business in Cameroon) - Over the first three months this year, Cameroon’s public debt was XAF7,494 billion, about 35% of GDP, according to the finance department (Minfi).

The amount consists of 76.6% external debt estimated at XAF5,737 billion, XAF718 of which was received as budget support under the IMF economic program ; 22.8% of domestic debt estimated at XAF1,710 billion and 0.6% (XAF47 billion) of guaranteed debt.

The external debt, the ministry says, covers 40.4% of concessional debt, the remaining 59.6% being non-concessional debt. Government securities accounted for 30.5% of the public debt and include 32.5% of short-term loans (BTAs) and 67.5% of mid-term loans (OTAs). Securities owned by non-residents are included in the external debt.

Last year, outstanding debt was XAF7,318 billion (34.4% of GDP) against XAF6,255 billion (30.8% of GDP) in late 2017. Higher debt, Minfi explained, is subsequent to drawings on statutory advances granted by development partners (IMF, World Bank, AfDB and France) as part of the IMF economic and financial program signed in June 2017. Debt increase is also motivated by acceleration in big infrastructure projects.

Sylvain Andzongo

cameroon-new-issuance-of-fungible-treasury-bills-on-beac-market
On December 4, 2019, the Cameroonian Treasury proceeded to the issuance of a 26-week fungible treasury bills on the market of the Bank of Central African...
cameroon-35-of-gas-stations-are-located-in-rural-areas-ministry-of-energy
In Cameroon, 35% of the 835 gas stations in operation as of October 28, 2019 (for the 54 state-approved companies), are located in rural areas. This was...
cameroon-increased-daily-drinking-water-production-by-96-376-m3-between-2018-and-2019
In Cameroon, the national drinking water production increased from 731,080 m3/day to 824,456 m3/day between 2018 and 2019, according to recent data from...
cameroon-safacam-plans-to-invest-xaf3-5-bln-to-extend-its-oil-palm-and-hevea-plantations-in-dizangue
In Cameroon, the Ministry of State’s Property and Land Tenure recently granted an additional 2,000 hectares of land to Société Africaine forestière et...

Mags frontpage


Business in Cameroon n81: November 2019

The growing weight of Moroccan banks in Cameroon


Made in Cameroon products gradually take over supermarkets


Investir au Cameroun n91: Novembre 2019

Le poids croissant des banques marocaines au Cameroun


Le Made in Cameroon progresse dans les supermarchés