Yaoundé - 02 October 2023 -

CEMAC: Central bank withdraws CFAF160 billion liquidity from the banking system in 48 hours

CEMAC: Central bank withdraws CFAF160 billion liquidity from the banking system in 48 hours
  • Comments   -   Friday, 25 August 2023 10:54

(Business in Cameroon) - Between August 21 and 22, 2023, BEAC, the central bank of CEMAC countries, withdrew CFAF160 billion from the banking system. According to official data, CFAF30 billion was withdrawn on August 21, following an offer to take over CCFA 50 billion of long-dated liquidity. On August 22, it withdrew CFAF130 billion from the system following an operation to take over CFAF150 billion.  

The central bank is thus pursuing its liquidity absorption strategy to restrict access to credit and combat inflation, which is forecasted to reach 6.1% this year (twice the community threshold of 3%). 

It is worth noting that despite the central bank’s restrictive monetary policy (with repeated increases in key rates, the suspension of liquidity injections, and the intensification of liquidation absorptions) since 2021, inflationary pressures persist in the CEMAC region. 

This is understandable with BEAC governor Abbas Mahamat Tolli admitting that only 20% of the inflation is of monetary origin. This means that the restrictive monetary policy implemented by the central bank can have no impact on the remaining 80% of inflation, which is imported and due to internal factors such as climate change.


Cameroon National Shippers' Council (CNCC) inaugurated last September 27 a community center in Kouseri, Far North, for the purpose of resting and...
The Bank of Central African States -BEAC- noted a good momentum on the primary public securities market throughout the year, despite a constant increase...
The Cameroonian Trade Department announced the introduction of a special facility to support the population in this tough economic context. Minister Luc...
Cameroon’s national refinery- Sonara signed last September 29 a deal with Trafigura PTE LTD to restructure CFA14 billion owed to the Swiss trader. Per...

Mags frontpage

Business in Cameroon n110: April 2022

Covid-19, war in Europe: Some Cameroonian firms will suffer

Albert Zeufack: “Today, the most important market is in Asia”

Investir au Cameroun n120: Avril 2022

Covid-19, guerre en Europe : des entreprises camerounaises vont souffrir

Albert Zeufack: « Le marché le plus important aujourd’hui, c’est l’Asie »